Windows Embedded POS Ready 2009 End of Life
As of the 19th of April 2019, Microsoft will no longer be supporting the Operating System Windows Embedded POS Ready 2009.
This means if you are running your Point of Sale software on a terminal with this operating system you can potentially be at risk from any security flaws that are discovered after this date.
This could mean the time to upgrade is Now.
In addition to the possible security flaws, if your POS software stops working on these terminals it can prevent a resolution and it will prevent the ability to update to any newer versions of POS software that are released. This is because the .NET Framework of any future upgrades will not be able to work on the non support Windows Embedded POS Ready 2009. And since future updates are the way that enhancements and features or bug fixes are installed into your POS software, it can lead to bigger issues.
That is why it is important to look at upgrading your POS system now. Failure to upgrade can result in having non-functional terminals that could then result in an impact on your ability to trade on those terminals.
So how do you know what Windows Operating System your terminal runs?
- Close down your Point of Sale software and click on the Windows Start button
- Go to All Programs - Accessories - Accessibility - On-Screen Keyboard
- Using the On-Screen Keyboard, press the Windows Logo then press the R key.
- The run command will be displayed. Ensure that the cursor is in the white field next to the Open text and enter 'winver' using the On-Screen keyboard, then press 'OK'.
- Now the 'About Windows' will be displayed and will show the version of Windows that is installed.
- Here you will see the Operating System you are running. If you see at the top that you are indeed running Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 then you are running the OS that will no longer be supported.
If you see the above, this will mean you will have to look at a complete POS terminal hardware change.
Now is the time to get in contact with the team, so they can help you out with what to do next.